Swansea University Hiking Club
If you can't see any images, you need to give permission to view them - should at the top of your email window. Or click here.
Next Social - Tuesday 7pm - Annual General Meeting and Free Food - ALL WELCOME
The next social will be TUESDAY and includes eating lots of FREE CAKES etc. Meeting outside FULTON HOUSE. It will be the Annual General Meeting where all the committee is replaced (bar international reps). If you'd like to contribute in keeping the club running and choosing hiking locations, then please come along. Where would you like to go on a weekend trip?? Please come along even if you don't stand.
The following positions are up for grabs. The old committee will always be available to guide you in your new role if you're worried you won't have enough experience.
- Chairperson. Oversees the running of the club, ensures all members of the committee are carrying out their roles. This person will run meetings and within any issue they will have the final say. This person tends to have been on the committee before, in a more minor role
- Vice-Chairperson. Steps in when the chair cannot be there. This person books transport for day hikes and weekends away. They are also responsible for club kit.
- Treasurer. Manages the club finances. At every meeting gives a breakdown of finances to the rest of the committee
- Secretary. this person takes minutes at every committee meeting. They also book accommodation on weekends away and phone pubs before hikes to ensure they are open.
- Social Secretary. Organises the clubs socials and sets a social calendar.
- Publicity. Sends out club emails weekly and sorts posters and flyers for the club.
- Webmaster. Looks after the clubs website. (no computer experience is needed we can train you).
There will be plenty of free food on offer for those who turn up.
NEXT WALK - Port Eynon to Rhossili - Sunday, Febrary 24th
This walk takes in some of the most scenic parts of the Gower. A coastal hike, it passes Culver Hole, caves and the beaches of Fall Bay and Mewslade before finishing in Rhossili. If the weather is right, then the sunset from Rhossili Beach or Worm's Head is spectacular. See below for some previous photos of this route.
Link for photos from previous walks in the area: here
Last Hike's Recap
The walk along the ridge to Pen Allt Mawr (720m) offered some stunning scenery, although the snow was limited to the odd patch along the path. It seemed we were a few days late for the snow, but the number of wild horses on the route made up for it. We came across 20 or so during the day, and they happily let us get up close to them. We made good time on the 16.5km (10 miles) hike which had 646m of ascent and 867m of descent, so we had just under 2 hours in the pub at the end.
For more information, please checkout our website here or our facebook page here.
Pickups for day hikes are: 9am Uplands (outside Sainsburys), 9:05am Student Village (at the bus stop on the main road, opposite Carvery) and 9:15am outside Fulton House. Please remember to bring the hiking basics of food, drink, waterproof jacket, warm layers etc on all day hikes. We aim to return to Swansea by 7-8pm.
We have walk sign-ups every Wednesday and Friday 12:30-1:30pm on the Coffee side of JCs. Come along and join us, they're also perfect for mini-socials!